Dear Friends & Colleagues,
I hope the past year has been good for you and your loved ones. The year has been exciting for us. We’ve added a director of marketing and development, hired three more clinicians, and we continue to provide training in EMDR and PC throughout the USA and internationally. I’m writing to tell you more about what we’re doing, and to ask for your help.
Our research has been progressing nicely. We're revising our meta-analysis comparing EMDR to other evidence-based trauma therapies. We also have several other research projects underway, focused on EMDR, PC, the Flash technique, and intensive trauma therapy.
We have two randomized comparisons of EMDR/PC nearly completed. By some time in 2018, when these are accepted for publication, we anticipate that PC will be listed by SAHMSA as an evidence-based treatment (PC is already listed by the California Evidence-Based Clearinghouse). Then government agencies, and others who follow SAHMSA guidelines, will more readily access PC training and more therapy clients will receive PC treatment.
We’re particularly keen on the intensive trauma therapy model we’ve been using, in which the client works for full consecutive days. The intensive format cuts total treatment hours roughly in half, compared to weekly therapy. It’s also very quick, and our clients are routinely seeing major benefit in a matter of days – not the months or years it would otherwise take. We recently submitted a large open trial of intensive therapy for publication, and have more research in progress. Our goal is to establish intensive trauma therapy, featuring EMDR or PC, as a standard treatment format that is widely available and routinely reimbursed by insurance companies.
Until recently, our intensive therapy service was available only to those who could pay out of pocket. Now we're nearly through a major three-year grant to provide free intensive trauma therapy to victims of crime in our Western Massachusetts region, and in the process of applying for another four years. The intensive trauma therapy service, offered to crime victims regardless of ability to pay, has become the core of our clinical practice.
Our intensive therapy outcomes are excellent, with most clients reporting dramatic improvements after an average 4.5 days of treatment. Some of our clients’ stories have been posted online here and here.
Our clients often tell us, “More people should know about this!” They’re referring their friends and family members, because they recognize that the profound healing via EMDR or PC is preferable to the symptom management approach of some other therapies. And they recognize that overcoming the problem in a few days is way better than waiting for months or years.
So we’re going to continue to grow. We’re going to start additional satellite clinics in other states. We’re going to apply to extend our Victims of Crime grant to cover more of Massachusetts, as well as our other locations. We’re going to continue to research and develop our treatment approach, and train other therapists around the world. We’re going all out, to get effective, efficient trauma healing to all who need it.
We need your help to keep our programs going and continue to grow. Insurance doesn’t cover intensive therapy... yet. The Victims of Crime grant only covers 75% of costs, so we must raise the other 25%.
We’re a 501(c)3 organization, so your contribution is tax-deductible. Our overhead costs are low, and our work is efficient and effective, so you can be confident that your donation will be used well. And at the same time as we’re helping crime victims to get their lives back, we’re also building the data base that will enable us to document outcomes and disseminate the treatment approach more widely. This is like using the same dollar to both feed people and teach them to fish! Your donation is an excellent investment in getting healing to those who need it now and in the future.
Thank you for your support of Trauma Institute and Child Trauma Institute. I hope this letter finds you well. May you and your family enjoy the holidays, and have a wonderful year to come.
Ricky Greenwald, PsyD
Executive Director, Trauma Institute & Child Trauma Institute
December 1, 2017